We are all well aware that many people fear the dentist to some degree. As you can imagine, we don’t want to be feared. We want our patients to like coming here, and better yet, to enjoy it.
If you were running a business, an organization, providing a service for people, how would you feel if the mention of what you did made many people uneasy even if it was ultimately good for them? Not what one would want, right?
Dr. Jess is a people person, and she wants you to be at ease in her care. She wants to show patients that fearing the dentist maybe could be a thing of the past. Or at the very least, be minimal and less of a factor.
To help with Dr. Jess’s mission to make dentistry more comfortable and enjoyable, we now offer weighted blankets to patients who would like to use them.
Weighted blankets – What they are and how they work:
– A weighted blanket is a heavy blanket which is filled with pellets to give it some extra weight.
– The weight of the blanket puts pressure on the body. It can have a calming affect like a hug.
– A small study found that “grounding” the human body, or pushing it downward with deep pressure touch (DPT), which can be similar to the experience of using a weighted blanket, reduces the production of cortisol. Cortisol is a stress hormone and it brings about symptoms commonly associated with anxiety. (https://www.prevention.com/health/mental-health/a21526329/weighted-blanket-anxiety-insomnia/)
– The weight of the blanket pushing on the body is also associated with some of the benefits of getting a massage.
– More studies need to be done, but many people are benefiting from the use of weighted blankets.
We would love for you to try one out on your next visit. Picture yourself enjoying your visit to the dentist. Give us a call and we will make your comfort priority number one. See you soon!
Side note: Dr. Jess is a dog person too. We have comfort dogs for those interested in having a furry, adorable dog in their lap while getting their dental work done. Dr. Jess is a horse person too, but she hasn’t figured out a way to have horses here at The Toothery. She just might someday find a way. ☺ Hmmm, there is a rather large field out back of the office.